Wednesday, May 4, 2011

That time again....

And so it is time that we venture into the wonderful world if dah dah dah DAH..... potty training.... AGAIN! Actually the Bug (aka Judah) has initiated this business all on his own! Not really too shocking in that he watches his three older brothers do this. I have always said that 2 1/2 years old has been my magic age for potty training my boys. That was how old Asher was when he was trained, so I've just used that age as a guide again with both Caleb and Nate and it has worked like a charm. They are old enough to know what it is they're doing and what they're supposed to do. They're also pretty much able to do it by themselves... getting on and off the potty, getting their pants back up (as long as it's an elastic waistband) etc. June will be when Judah is 2 1/2 years so my plan has just been to do it then, the older boys will be out of school, no dropping off/ picking up, waiting in carpool line. The schedule just gets simpler and more relaxed around here. But little man has had other ideas so I think I am going to have to jump in full force a month early.
A couple nights ago before bathtime, I was in the bathroom with J and we were taking off his clothes to get him the tub when he declared he needed to potty and wanted to sit on the big potty. (I have always just gone straight to the big potty with a little seat insert on it when I've trained my boys.... no little pottys around here... just knocks out that extra step!) So he got up on the potty and proceeded to do both potty acts :) (for lack of better words). He was so proud of himself and I really couldn't believe that he already knew to put together what he was doing with the word potty. All the next day at different times he would tell me that he needed to use the potty and when he got on there he would do just that. The clincher for me was when we were at Target yesterday, I was buckling him in his carseat to head home and he said "Mama, potty". So I said, "We'll have to wait till we get home". So as soon as we got home we went to to the potty and low and behold if he didn't do just that! I'm thinking now that a couple times wetting himself in big boy underwear will do the trick and he will know not to go unless he's on the potty if he doesn't want to get wet! (This boy is pretty particular!) We'll keep you posted, but I'm definitely seeing the days of only one in diapers soooooooon :)

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

You go girl! One kid in diapers at a time? I'm so jealous!! :) Best of luck in the potty-process. One question- do you offer rewards? This may be a moot point if Judah's already going on his own without enticement.

Amber said...

Nope...... the only time I did was on the first day when I was teaching the other boys what they needed to do. A skittle each time.... but since J did it all on his own he never knew the good life :) Ha!