Thursday, March 20, 2008

Oh The Madness!!

Other than Christmas Day itself, Amber and I celebrate like it's Christmas two additional times each year. One of these extra Christmases is devoted to the first Saturday of the college football season. The other is today and tomorrow, days commonly celebrated as March Madness.

Our home is a sports crazy home, as anyone who reads this blog or knows us, should know. With college sports especially being a passion for Am and me, our boys are naturally gravitating towards this as well. Ever since I printed out my brackets on Sunday night, Asher has been asking me when we could fill his out. Now although I consider my son well above the average intellectual curve, I mean what parent doesn't, I know he has absolutely no clue about how to fill out a bracket. His idea of picking a team depends on if he knows someone who lives in that state or if the school name sounds funny.

However, this morning as we were filling out his bracket, he almost made me weep with joy. We were picking the East region, a region where he has no high seeds advancing. I tried to help him to make sure that at least all the 1 and 2 seeds moved on a little. However, the 2 seed in the East is Tennessee. When it got to picking that game, Asher said with total confidence that he wanted to pick American, Tennessee's first round opponent. I tried to get him to get him to switch, but he wouldn't. Finally, I asked why he wouldn't pick Tennessee, and he said, "Dad we don't like Tennesse, we like Alabama!" These are the moments that make me weepy and filled with such pride for my little guy.

May you and yours enjoy this joyous holdiay season.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Don't tell Nick what Asher said about Tennessee! You might find a bite mark from Elijah next Sunday... :)

We may stop by later on today or tomorrow to say hi and join the Madness for a few minutes.

Allison said...

Nick just said "at least you have Tennessee as a choice, Asher. Alabama isn't a choice."

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Blake said...

Touche'. Sometimes the truth hurts. I'll choose not to let that truth hurt Asher this year. ;o) And I really did try and get him to pick the Vols, but alas, his precious little heart could not be swayed.

amanda said...

while i disagree with his conclusion, i must admit that asher's reasoning is strong. he is obviously advanced for his years. GO BIG ORANGE!!!